The price for our Sumatra volunteer accommodation at Selang Pangeran, including 3 meals, fruit and tea/coffee is $30 US a day. You can stay for a short or long time, from 1 day to 6 months or longer!
Sleeping mat is provided, volunteers just need to bring a sleeping bag or sleeping sheet and pillow if needed. The accommodation is shared backpacker style, with a traditional wash area (cold water shower and western toilet).
Meals included are Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Tea and Coffee and Fruit
A typical days volunteering activities
8.30 am Start morning volunteer activities. Volunteer activities include
- clearing grass in the tree planting locations around plants that have been planted
- help the local community with community projects. In the past community projects have included building a foot bridge, building our English school house, seedling propagation and establishing the plant nursery and environmental education and waste collection
- help cook and provide lunch
Help teach English to our school children or 3-4.30pm afternoon volunteer activities
5 pm return to help with preparation of dinner.
In the evening , volunteers share their experiences of their volunteer work during the day and say good night
Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, Day 4, Day 5, Day 6 etc
Last night, make a bonfire to enjoy a night under the stars with your new friends.
Last morning, say goodbye to your new friends, volunteers to return to Bukit Lawang or Medan.
WHY NOT STAY ON AND SEE SUMATRA WHILE YOU ARE HERE
In your spare time you will have the opportunity to visiting some nice places around Bukit Lawang and Selang Pangeran with our team. Or stay on afterwards to explore Sumatra and Indonesia.
We can take you on day activities around Bukit Lawang, Batu Kapal, Batu Katak and Tangkahan on weekends or after your volunteering placement has finished at our special volunteer prices.
1. Jungle trekking on Gunung Leuser National Park has many interesting options to camp in the jungle for one day or longer;
2. Tangkahan elephant adventure, elephant washing
3. Sarringana waterfall day trip by motor bike.
4. Gelugur hot springs one day tour trip by motor bike,
5. Batu Kapal day trip with art lesson to make your own Batik t-shirt. Motor bike or you can walk there.
6. Batu Katak, near Bohorok, tour trip with motor bike, relax in Batu Katak, near Bohorok, one day tour trip. Optional half day rafflesia flower and titanium flower treks if in flower, full day trek and caving adventure with tubing, morning gibbon walk or river tubing
7. Selang Pangeran Waterfall 1/2 day trip
Why not head a little further to see Sumatra and Indonesia, maybe visit Aceh, Lake Toba, Brastagi, Bali or Jogjakata